Tuesday, January 17, 2012

US Foreign Policy

I think that the United States should limit the amount of involvement around the world. I am not saying to be completely uninvolved, but I also think that there should be limits. I think that ever since the victory of WW2 the United States has felt an obligation to become involved in everything that goes on in the world. I think that we always assume that countries want/need our help. We sometimes barge into countries and tell them that we are the best and that they need to adopt our way of doing things. I believe that rather than forcing our ways on other countries, we need to dig a little deeper. Learn about their culture, what they value. I believe that if we try to understand their background and where they are coming from before we impose our ideas, that there would be less conflict in this world. I believe that having discussions with other countries and keeping positive relationships is the best foreign policy. I also understand that this is easier said than done, and if the conflict is not workable through discussion that war would be acceptable in this situation. I also understand that the United States is very fortunate compared to many countries. Another way I think we can help is through personal outreach organizations. Donate to programs that help those in need in less fortunate countries. I went on a humanitarian trip to Thailand, and it really opened my eyes. They live off of so much less than we do and they are still happy. I think that personally as Americans we need to cut back on things that are unnecessary and reach out to others that are in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment